Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  08:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an Orthodox Jewish magazine called Aish.com.

I recall a section "Ask the Rabbi".
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  09:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think translation is the big issue. I read the concordant version because thay use the exact english word everytime and dont change things to "make a story flow". In this version Genesis has diffrent conclusions ie.. where everyone reads the end of the first day of creation - the concordant states .. the end of a day (no numeric indication) - a small diffrence that has huge implications. Even Josephus noted translation issues with the first chapter of what we call Genesis. The word day needs to be pinned down and by there own rules first mention is definition - the word day becomes a non issue because it the name for light not a measure of time. Due to all of the problems in current bibles Iam convinced they have been mistranslated on purpose.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  11:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good example of change of meaning in scriture is ACTS 13:14 - the KJV says sabbath day but the concordant say the day of the sabbaths small diffrence in words big diffrence in definition. The greek words do not tend towards sabbath day here (not even close) but look what the KJV did here - they made a big assumption that the sabbath is a day??
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  11:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACTS 17:2 is even worse and it is offensive that the greek can be misconstrued in such a matter and then say the KJV of the bible is inspired? Inspired by whom?
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  11:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jambosa "It is clear that each month has 30 days..." [Emphasis added]

Where is this made "clear" in the Scripture? Thank you.

jambosa "Hello I agree that a 13th month is not mentioned in the books that comprise the "authorized" bible - does this mean it is not so?

Where is it mentioned in the "unauthorized" bible?

fellowcitizen of the commonwealth of Yisra'el,
NOT the man-made, fictional USA.
Ephesians 2:12 & 19
An act done by me against my will is not my act.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 18 Mar 2005 11:40:47
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  13:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thirteenth month regulates the agriculture. Planting and harvest holidays are commanded for certain months in the Bible. Therefore one would be planting in the fall half the time and the crops would be failing. Thus it was necessary to regulate the coherence of the lunar calendar with the sun.

The Mohammedan calendar is strictly lunar I believe. But it does not make commands in reference to agriculture. So we find that one cannot determine the year by comparing it to any solar calendar. You go ask a Mohammedan or calculate it from 634 AD (?) by the moon.
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  14:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambosas

A good example of change of meaning in scriture is ACTS 13:14 - the KJV says sabbath day but the concordant say the day of the sabbaths small diffrence in words big diffrence in definition. The greek words do not tend towards sabbath day here (not even close) but look what the KJV did here - they made a big assumption that the sabbath is a day??

Yes, that is the point exactly; what are these plural sabbaths? From the surrounding words, it isn't clear. It really needs study before we can run around claiming Lunar, Solar, Saturday, or Sunday as the Sabbath.
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  18:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the Saturday weekly Sabbath might be a Jewish (Babylonian captivity) novation? We are just assuming it was with the (earlier) Israelites because of the Genesis Creation Week?
Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  19:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings Linc, and all,
Well, in Spanish, Saturday is Sabado, and since you brought up the word "octave," that too in Spanish is octavo, meaning eigth. Example= primero (first), segundo (second), tercero (third), quarto (fourth), quinto (fifth), sexto (sixth), septimo (seventh), octavo (eighth).... etc..
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  19:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Yitzchak Elchanan's The Word - The Dictionary that Reveals the Hebrew Source of English:

SEVEN SHi(V)[A[NaH
S(H)IV-AH-NAH____________[S(H)-V-E-(N)]
ROOTS: One can accept the IE root septm (seven) as the source of Old English seofan and our SEVEN, or one can trust the Biblical SEVEN or - (...) S(H)EVANA ("seven" - Job 42:13). The prevalent "seven" is the shorter (...) S(H)EVA or SHEBHA - as in the city of BEER-SHEBA ("seven wells"). Unlike Dutch zeven or Danish syv, German sieben prefers the harder B of Arabic sabaa and Swahili saba - (all words for #7).

BRANCHES: (...) SHAVOOA is a week or heptad, and (...) SHABBAT means SABBATH or week - cycles which always (...) SHAV (return). The week is a radical, Biblical concept that does not correspond to cycles of the moon or sun. It is therefore possible that the Biblical (...) S(H)ABAT (Sabbath or week) influenced the French sept, Latin septem, and Sanskrit sapta (all sevens). A theory that carries weekends and S-BH seven words along cultural or trading routes may not suffice to explain why zazpi is seven in Basque, why shuu (U meansV) is "week" in Japanese, why vitu (reverse; S-T) is seven in Fijian or why "week" is sahp-dah in Thai.
The number seven, too, has a meaning in the meaningful universe of Hebrew. (...) SAVA means plenty, abundance, as the number so often signifies in Scripture. More at "SUFFICE" and "SWASTIKA." Cognates of SEVEN include SEPTEMBER, SEPTENNIAL, SEPTET, SEPTI-, SEPTUAGINT, SEPTUPLE and SEPTENTRION. The AHD also lists HEBDOMAD, HEPTA- and HEPTAD from Greek hepta (seven). At least Hebrew (...) SHABBAT has the H retained by the Greek.
The Sanskrit seven (sapta) merely adds a T from the Edenic.
The septm IE root demands that Russian has dropped a P and a T in their syem (seven). Hebrew (...) S(H)EVANA could allow for the Russians merely sliding a V over to a Y. Swedish "seven" is similarly pared down to sju. WEEK may derive from (...) (SH)EVA (seven) pronounced the guttural way - (SHE)VAKH. German Woche (week) is less harsh back in Old High German wehha. Words for week include the Dutch week, Norwegian uke, Finnish viikko, Yiddish voch and Indonesian peka(n). The IE root for WEEK is weik- (to bend, wind) which may be an inversion of (...) KAPHA (to invert) or (...) KAPHAL (to fold, roll up). The French semaine, Spanish and Portuguese samana and Hungarian het are terms for WEEK that add up to eight with inclusive counting. (...) S(H)IMONA means "eight," while (...) HET is the number 8. African culture does not value dividing time into numbers like seven (or eight). The Swahili week is juma, echoing the Hebrew (...) YOM (day period of time, EON - see "AGONY"). Rumanian saptamina (week) may demonstrate where the French and Spanish WEEK terms came from. In either case, the Rumanian could be a combined term like (...) S(H)ABBAT-(Y)AMIM (a week of days or a stop in days - see "STOP").

Edited by - David Merrill on 18 Mar 2005 23:54:23
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  09:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason sabbath does not mean week is clearer in ACTS 1:12 - the usual KJV version reads "a sabbaths day journey" - where as the concordant exact english reads - "a sabbaths journey". So the sabbath being connected to a week is not the understanding of scripture? They in England used the catholic style translation and included day - so week = sabbath I dont agree? sabbath is rest and has nothing to do with a week or a day - it is a lunar period and by definition is a season.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  09:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 5 month and the 12 day is never mentioned in scripture so does it exist? Yes why? because you go outside and you can see it and count it - its real and it adds up.... Read Genesis and Revelations - you will find reference to months and in these months are 30 days - 5000 years ago and 2000 years ago - no change.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  09:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the list of names who authorized, and the books left out of KJV (for what reason ?) and make your call - before their time the bible was a diffrent book - so in 1600's the time of great freedom of knowledge the bible a bible was born? The history of todays bible is interesting.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  09:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Charles our position is backed up with scripture and scientific fact. The lunar calendar is exact and needs no human adjustments. The letter of the law is what proves the solar calendar weakness.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  11:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to ask Berkano why the invisible moon is the new moon - in a system of observation using something you cant see or verify or test seems awkward? Could the first sighting of the moon be a new moon? If we use the moon as a clock why would we set time while we cannot see it?
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  12:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word sabbath does not appear in Genesis 1 - to use this as a definition of sabbath is an assumption? The big problem with a solar calendar and a 7 day week is man made adjustments must be used to make it work - can you imagine not keeping the proper counted holy day because it falls on a sabbath or a sunday - the year 2004 is a great example.
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  13:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jambosas;

Above March 19 11:10 post. There were a couple ultra-orthodox sects in Israel a few years back who still would wait until two witnesses in Jerusalem declared the new moon. If it was cloudy at sunset, too bad. The Code of Jewish Law elaborates the procedure, where to stand, where to look. It used to be conveyed horizon to horizon throughout Judea by signal fires.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  21:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea to make sure - if not for NASA and computers I would not be able to map out the 19 year moon rise cycle to place it on paper - otherwise it would take maybe 19 years. Thanks to these equations and tables I can apply the results to come up with a clock (the moon rise) that seems to cover 90% of the conflics in scriture about dates. As I mentioned before Sir Isaac Newton was interested in this 30 day month and found lots of information in history about it and according to him it was a widely used system not just by the Hebrews but many other groups. So to say this is new or odd is a suprise - of course the Jewish followers dont want to hear this at all because for some reason they have picked saturday as the seventh day.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  22:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to all who sent me mail in this system - I was aware that it was part of this system.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  07:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the solar calendar in direct contradiction of sripture? The Holy days in the solar calendar fall on diffrent days but scripture states that each Holy season is on the same day every year? I have got a lot of emails with the same question so I will answer it here - When I say the moon is the clock I do not mean its rotation time or side real month or any timings except the human observation from earth at its rise and the appearance of it - simple clock it rises and tells what day and month it is - so from the first crescent rise to the next (1st pierod of the month) is 30 days. The moon circles the earth 29 times during this period but the human can only see 28 and the last period of the month can last 2 solar days - a sabbath season of 2 days - the last day being the "new moon".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000