Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambosas

Does it say count seven weeks? or seven full sabbaths - and after seven complete sabbaths count 50 days. What is missing here for the lunnar sabbath not to work? 7 full lunnar sabbath periods then count 50 days?
The verse says:
Lev 23:
15* ¶ And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
16* Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

"Unto the morrow" I think is clear; it means the day after. Now, if you think the Hebrew doesn't bare this out, please show me, because I think it does. It means that the fiftieth day is the day after the seventh Sabbath.
quote:

Which is harder to belive a moon as a clock that fits all biblical situtations or a solar calendar that requires the orbit of the earth to have changed in the past? or adjustments every year to keep in sync. From a scientific point of view the sun and its (our) movement does not make a good time table on a round earth that spins at an angle - at no one point is a day the same but the moon is a diffrent story. If you just spend a little time with the moon rise concept and its observation from earth it should become clear that there is a clock in the sky that tells the time no matter where you are on earth - It cannot be just a coincidence.
That the moon provides a decent calendar I've yet to see.
The lunar calendar adds a thirteenth month every so often to keep the years in sync - where's the regularity in that? How is that so much different - or better - than "adjusting" the solar according to certain rules - which rules can be (as I've given) derived from Biblical examples.
quote:

Please give one scripture that says the sun is used for the calendar?
Neh 13:19?
19* And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day.

The sun going down below the horizon (gates geting dark) is the end of the day. Is this what you wanted? Otherwise, even the lunar calendar uses the vernal equinox to divide the years...
Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the works of Philo Judaeus Section 19 paragraph 60 he mentions that the word month means 30 days and at the end of this section he ends with God has appointed thses things and are unalterable for ever. This is during the time of Jesus. Whether you belive him or not is not the point but the fact that he mentions a month being 30 days as a law written by Moses and will not change is proof that the idea of a 30 day month was accepted at this time? many decades after the flood and after Moses.
I agree each month is thirty days long - the extra days are by my estimation not counted.
As for a lunar month being thirty days, that's not a given. I haven't spent the time working out your moonrise way of starting a day, so I'll deal with that when I have extra time - which is in short supply for me these days.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  13:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused - a solar month has 30 days? A lunar month has 29.5 days this is a math fact and by human observation it is 30 days every time, No extras as in a solar calendar. As I have said in past posts some sabbaths start at sunset, some at sunrise and some at noon and midnight. Why is 12 or 13 months a problem as long as the clock is right without adjustment - the fact that a solar year has 365.25 days is a problem - it can only work with manmade adustments. As you said until you at least look at the moon period for use as time your guess work of does it work is not proof. LEV 23:16 Until the morrow after the seventh sabbath you shall count off 50 days. This can go either way? but either way has no effect on either calendar - this is another topic. The solar calendar requires adjustments, the jews wrote a whole book on how to adjust - the law was in place long before a member of the Jewish Line existed to explain man made adjustments to a solar calendar.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  14:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When dealing in math and proving all things, extra days being thrown away or not counted cannot be part of the solution? Saying scriture is inspired and then some of it not be counted cannot be part of the solution? Proff abounds that the solar calendar is off, So I dropped it as invalid. The moon and its movement solve a lot of the situtions and as of yet I cannot find a problem? The big problem for many is thinking solar when talking lunar, If you look at the moon as the starting point of a period of time and follow it only it becomes clear that it works (human observation from earth).
Go to Top of Page

StormyNightJ

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  16:08:48  Show Profile  Visit StormyNightJ's Homepage  Send StormyNightJ an AOL message  Click to see StormyNightJ's MSN Messenger address  Send StormyNightJ a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Answer if you Dare:

WHO said that "Saturday" (Saturn/ Shatan/ Sa-tan) is the 7th day of Yahweh's biblical Calendar???

Is Sat-urn's Day (Saturday) ever mentioned in scriptures???

There is over 30 Calendars in-use today... EACH Calendar has a "7th day", each calendar has a "begining", and each calendar has a "CREATOR"...

WHO created YOUR calendar? WHO made the rules? WHO named the days?

Answer if you dare...

WHO's Sabbath are you fighting for???

Yahweh's 7th day of HIS CALENDAR, Created at Creation??? (GEN. 1:1-14)

OR

POPE Greggory's 7th day of HIS CALENDAR created in the 15th century, and adopted by the US in 1753???

THERE is only one way. ONE true Calendar. ONE true GOD.

Answer if you dare,
Stormy
For more info. on the HISTORY of the Calendars;
http://groups.msn.com/SGL
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2005 :  13:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When dealing in math and proving all things, extra days being thrown away or not counted cannot be part of the solution? Saying scriture is inspired and then some of it not be counted cannot be part of the solution? Proff abounds that the solar calendar is off, So I dropped it as invalid. The moon and its movement solve a lot of the situtions and as of yet I cannot find a problem? The big problem for many is thinking solar when talking lunar, If you look at the moon as the starting point of a period of time and follow it only it becomes clear that it works (human observation from earth).

Jambosas, thank you for your persistence. I did some research on the moon last night, and now have to admit my ignorance.

What ARE the motions of the moon exactly? When does it rise? When does it set? Aren't we supposed to tell day from night by the sun and moon, not by moon alone? What system do you propose for doing this?

The sidereal month is only 27.3 days, and there is another type of month that is 27.2 days. Where do they fit in?

How do you recognize that the moon is in the sign of the Lamb (Aries) for purposes of starting your year on the right day?

I know the 19 year metonic cycle has something to do with the moon, but am not sure it is relevant here.

Finally, in a documentary on Chaco Canyon they mentioned that the moon-rise and moon-set locations on the horizon are slightly different on the same day each solar year, moving northward then southward in an 18 year cycle.

How can we tie all these observations together into a coherent explanation of how the moon is to be used to tell Mowadi?

Are there some other motions and perterbations of the moon I am not aware of?

Didn't Velikovsky show some ancient documents showing the moon had changed its orbit at various times in the past? Shouldn't we take this into account? According to Babylonian records, the sun and planets have had three successive ecliptics [paths across the firmament] = Anu, Enlil, Ea. Each system is recorded as complete in itself and differs from the others at every point.

The sun, moon, stars, and seasons will last forever, but He is Lord of them, which means he definitely can change them as he so wills. If he planned to take away our sabbaths, I believe it is not unreasonable that he would have changed the celestial orbits enough to effect that very purpose. And we could do nothing about it. If he could confuse our languages, why not our calendar?

Edited by - Linc on 26 Feb 2005 13:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Bondservant
Forum Administrator

382 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2005 :  18:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Bondservant's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Currently - and this only takes a common sense "no frills" visualization - the moon is no longer acting "normal". The earthly visual picture of the face we see of the moon is not what it was 10 days ago, and the rising/setting is not what even the US Navy says it should be for any specific geographical location. This is more than obvious for those who just LOOK and OBSERVE the moon from day to day. This also signifies a very important spiritual and physical change.

Observe, think, and ask your Creator for understanding....
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2005 :  19:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bondservant

Currently - and this only takes a common sense "no frills" visualization - the moon is no longer acting "normal". The earthly visual picture of the face we see of the moon is not what it was 10 days ago, and the rising/setting is not what even the US Navy says it should be for any specific geographical location. This is more than obvious for those who just LOOK and OBSERVE the moon from day to day. This also signifies a very important spiritual and physical change.

Observe, think, and ask your Creator for understanding....

Thank you for pointing this out. Now I will need to start making observations. But I have no training at all. Can you recommend a regimen of observing? What should I observe? When? What details should I record?

And the sun and moon and stars shall hide themselves, and the heavens be rolled up as a scroll...

Did you know our universe is likely to be less than one light-day across?

http://www.fixedearth.com/

When the heavenly firmament no longer hides us from the face of YHWH, what a fearful day that will be! It is no wonder the seas will dry up and the fish and whales die off.

Edited by - Linc on 26 Feb 2005 19:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  08:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings and salutations brothers and sisters:

Peace be unto the house.

The foundation must be solid...so let us go to the beginning.

Genesis 1:16 And God (H430) made (H6213 (H853) ) two (H8147) great (H1419) lights; (H3974 (H853) ) the greater (H1419) light (H3974) to rule (H4475) the day, (H3117) and the lesser (H6996) light (H3974) to rule (H4475) the night: (H3915) he made the stars (H3556) also.

First question we have is how does the moon "rule" the night when it is in the wrong territory (day sky) half the month and in the right territory (night sky) half the month [approximately]?

We see that "meorah" [#H3974] is translated first as "lights" [plural] and then as "light" [singular].

We also see that a very similar Hebrew word, "menorah" [#H4501], technically means "chandelier"

CHANDELIER, n. 1. A Frame with branches to hold a number of candles, to illuminate a public or large room.

…though admittedly, this may only be a coinkydink.

Is the "light" from a million candles plural or singular?

We see that lesser (H6996) can, and probably does, mean "diminutive".
"...small, insignificant, unimportant" - Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions

"... diminutive, literally (in quantity, size or number) or figuratively (in age or importance) - Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible

We see, in the original verse posted (KJV), that "he made" has been added to the Word because it is italicized. We see too that "also" has been added to the Word because it does not appear in the Hebrew text i.e. it has no Strong's number attached, thus the latter part of this verse simply translates "stars" and not, "he made the stars also".

Here is an alternate translation using this knowledge: Yahuwah made two great lights; the great light to rule the day, and the diminutive lights to rule the night: the stars.

The Literal Translation of the Bible comes very close to this understanding...

Genesis 1:16 And God made the two great luminaries: the great luminary to rule the day, and the small luminary and the stars to rule the night.

...but again we see that words have been added. Had this translator not added words it might have read, "and the small luminaries to rule the night: [the] stars."

Yahuwah said...let them be for signs...

John Bouvier’s 1856 Law Dictionary:
9.-5., ANGULAR MEASURE; or, DIVISION OF THE CIRCLE .
60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 degree
30 degrees = 1 sign
90 degrees = 1 quadrant
360 degrees , or 12 signs = 1 circumference

[…Or, perhaps one "revolution” as Dr Strong suggests: “ shânâh; a year ( as a revolution of time ) ?]

This is an alternative view of the foundation; checking to make sure that it is sound.

fellowcitizen of the commonwealth of Yisra'el,
NOT the man-made, fictional USA.
Ephesians 2:12 & 19
An act done by me against my will is not my act.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 13 Mar 2005 05:07:28
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  06:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings jambosas:
Peace be unto the house.
You ask, "Why is 12 or 13 months a problem..."
Something you may find interesting is the fact that when we do a search of the entire book of the Scripture we find multiple references to the phrases, first month (30), second month (14), third month (6), fourth month (6), fifth month (10), sixth month (4), seventh month (27), eighth month (4), ninth month (7), tenth month (10), eleventh month (3), twelfth month (8), but nowhere do we find any mention of a thirteenth month, indicating that either there is never a thirteenth month in Yahuwâh's year (revolution), or for thousands upon thousands of years no extraordinary thing ever happened in a thirteenth month, which we think you will agree is highly unlikely, to put it mildly.
This may help us in deciding whether a thirteenth month is Scriptural or not.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 14 Mar 2005 06:16:54
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  12:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Word does say "he changeth times and seasons." Jeremiah 2:21.

If he would confuse the languages at Babel, why would he not change the orbits of the luminaries in the heavens to confuse our calendars? He did say one of the curses is that we would have our sabbaths and mowadi TAKEN from us. It is well documented historically that the heavens have changed, and that 300 years after Christ there was a lot of controversy and argument over how to calculate Pascha. Coincidence?

I make a prediction. When a sufficient number of us are keeping the Torah sufficiently well, the skies will change again, into an ordering that once more lets us easily calculate the Mowadi and Sabbaths according to the moon. This assumes we are still supposed to observe them.

Noone has piped up to give me some leads on how to observe the moon. I've tried astronomy websites, but they are all focused on the "origins of the universe" trillions of light years away. I've tried the astrology websites, but they are too focused on their mumbo-jumbo, and not on how to do the actual observations themselves. It seems almost everyone with a telescope is ignoring the moon and planets right now, and all the astrologers are ignoring telescopes altogether, relying on ancient tables.

Is ANYONE watching the sky for this sort of stuff who knows how to make proper observations? Where can a fellow learn?
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  13:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skyglobe and Luach (Jewish calendar Aish.com) work well in conjunction. Both are free downloads.

From above it seems as though you are talking about a divine celestial reworking? I doubt that. But I do not see much need for the God of Abraham to resort to supernatural things like that.

However there is a shifting called Precedence or Celestial Wobble. The North Star shifts around at a rate of 1 degree every 72 years. So the stars are in a flux. Just so slow that nobody really cares. I find it interesting that throughout nature you will find that 72. Like God's signature.

If you download Skyglobe look at September 11, 3BC and see that Regulus (heart of the lion) and Jupiter were in alignment in the pre-dawn sky. Maybe that was the Star of Bethlehem that led the Babylonian Magi eastward to pay tribute to the newborn Jesus?

Regards,

David Merrill.

Edited by - David Merrill on 14 Mar 2005 14:01:11
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  19:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Merrill

Skyglobe and Luach (Jewish calendar Aish.com) work well in conjunction. Both are free downloads.
I'm not interested in software, Dave. I write software all day long. I know its limits. Software ASSUMES that things in the past were the same as they are now. And it ASSUMES that things in the future are as things were at some point in the past.

I need instructions on how to go out and take actual observations MYSELF. Once I've done that, I'll write them up, pass them around, and organize a network of Christian Identity skywatchers so we can KNOW what is actually happening up there.

How many of you actually LOOK and RECORD when the moon rises, and where it rises, and when? I know I don't. But now that I know God changes times and seasons, I think it is really important that I start!
quote:
From above it seems as though you are talking about a divine celestial reworking? I doubt that. But I do not see much need for the God of Abraham to resort to supernatural things like that.

No doubt the great flood, the crossing of the red sea, and the crossing of the jordon were just exaggerated accounts of natural phenomena too, right David? Heck, if God doesn't act supernaturally, what is God for anyway? No wonder you are so willing to chuck out parts of the Bible.
quote:
However there is a shifting called Precedence or Celestial Wobble. The North Star shifts around at a rate of 1 degree every 72 years. So the stars are in a flux. Just so slow that nobody really cares. I find it interesting that throughout nature you will find that 72. Like God's signature.
That is interesting. Can you supply more details? If it shifts 1 degree, I have to ask, 1 degree from WHAT? What is the epicenter of the shift? How long have we been taking measurements of this? How reliable are they? I don't trust measurements that claim accuracy greater than 1 in 1000.
quote:
If you download Skyglobe look at September 11, 3BC and see that Regulus (heart of the lion) and Jupiter were in alignment in the pre-dawn sky. Maybe that was the Star of Bethlehem that led the Babylonian Magi eastward to pay tribute to the newborn Jesus?
Talking to you is a waste of time. You miss details. Like the details in the scripture that describe the star as "moving" in a way that could be followed, over a period of time.

Is there a Christian out there who knows enough about the starry skies to answer my questions? How can I, visually, see the moon being "in" Aries at Passover? What does that even mean?
Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  21:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings Linc, and all,

I caught a glimpse of Lunar activity at the following site:
http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=66838

Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  05:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is someone else that thinks to change times as well.

Dani'el 7:25 (HNV) He shall speak words against the Elyon, and shall wear out (constantly harass) the holy (separate) ones of the Elyon; and he shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and half a time.

*Definitions supplied by Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Lexicon

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 15 Mar 2005 05:58:57
Go to Top of Page

David Merrill
Advanced Member

USA
1147 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  16:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link;

I think I understand and made a comment that you may be looking for a celestial reworking in the order of the universe; the stars.

You are correct that I pretty much presume the heavens and Skyglobe agree. When I got my new watch "Triple Sensor" from Casio I would sometimes calibrate the compass, or at least check its calibration by noting what degree orientation the moon, sun or a bright planet were at on Skyglobe and then as I was leaving the house pause to make sure my wristwatch agreed. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30803616&memberId=12500226 I have a sextant with which I could check the attitude - the degrees off the horizon but have not bothered. In Colorado there are really no true horizons anyway; you need the sea for that.

I read on one download site that Skyglobe was originally developed for NASA and is one of the most accurate software packages around. And in using Luach in conjunction have come to believe that even the most Orthodox Jews are no longer depending on two witnesses in Jerusalem to determine the full moon*. They are using the dependability of the celestial cycles.

You may use things like a simple understanding of the cycles. When the moon is rising as the sun sets, that is a full moon you are looking at. When the moon is close to the sun, you never see it at all. That is a new moon - solar/lunar conjunction. Sometimes you see the moon in the morning; that is waxing. When you see it in the dark a sliver, that is of course during the waning cycle.

You inquired:

quote:

quote:

That is interesting. Can you supply more details? If it shifts 1 degree, I have to ask, 1 degree from WHAT? What is the epicenter of the shift? How long have we been taking measurements of this? How reliable are they? I don't trust measurements that claim accuracy greater than 1 in 1000.

Explanation: The sky is slowly circling us in our view of it. At 1 degree every 72 years that means the North Star will be back exactly where it is now in 25,920 years. Celestial Wobble. Skyglobe gives graphic demonstration of Celestial Wobble.

There is also the Daniel Cycle. It is encoded in the Bible in the Book of Daniel - 2,520 which is a week of 360 day years [MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN = 2,520 Gerahs]. The rabbis have worked out the lunar calendar accordingly. About every three years they add a lunar month. Noting where exactly the sun, moon and earth are right at this moment, they will be within one day of that same position in 19 years. They will be within one hour, either way of that position in 315 years. In eight cycles of that 315, 2,520 years they will be exactly aligned. Thus the Daniel Cycle.

Do not confuse Celestial Wobble with the twelve signs of the Zodiac. The twelve constellations are simply which one is behind the sun. That is why you never see the constellation currently in the sky. For instance you never see Leo in August because you cannot see the stars in the daytime.

But I think you are looking for Christians who will agree with you that God is reorienting the sky - probably something from the Book of Revelation. If you in your observations uncover any evidence of this, please tell us immediately.

I have a beachball style observatory in my backpack but have on occasion carried a notebook computer and solar chargers. That may be the kind of thing you are looking for Link - direct experience in the darkness away from the city lights.

Regards,

David Merrill.

P.S. Link: You may misunderstand me a bit. I perceive the very existance of the universe a supernatural event of God.

* Because of the proximity of the sun and moon at conjunction, one cannot see the new moon until typically two or three nights after conjunction. Then cloud cover may obsure that for a night or two more. Until about three years ago when I noticed Luach is always within the exact conjunction by a day or two, the Jewish calendars I looked at were usually two or three days after the conjunction. Aish.com providing Luach is the magazine of Orthodox Jewry. http://www.mysearch.com/jsp/GGmain.jsp?searchfor=aish.com+luach

Edited by - David Merrill on 15 Mar 2005 17:07:08
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  21:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I agree that a 13th month is not mentioned in the books that comprise the "authorized" bible - does this mean it is not so? It is clear that each month has 30 days and to equate a clock (solar or lunar) to this only has one option - not solar? To say change the times means physically altering orbits? or push the wrong calendar so long that it becomes accepted? The real issue is what proof is there that saturday is the sabbath - I can find none. I can explain (account via a lunar calendar) a 30 day month and 7 day periods with no sabbath and the calendar never needs adjustments? So with that I lean to a month that consists of lunar periods, each measured every day by the appearence of the moon without fail. To suggest that the law has changed to hide something (physical or biblical) I think is a bad idea. The CREATOR explains in scripture what he does who dont belive - HE hardens the heart and closes your eyes to the truth - no need to alter creation.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  22:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear LINC Hello you are right on the money with at least taking a look at it. Its a long process because you must prove it to yourself and to do this you must take the time to see if its for you. The moon rises on the same day at near the same time every 19 years = so each year the moon rise is was duplicated 19 years ago. The 19 year cycle for the moon aligns to the seasons perfectly. The moon rises 28 times each month - the moon really rises 29 times but the 29th time is not visible to the human eye so the last period of the month may be two solar days long. As I said in other posts the first sabbath of the month starts around the noon hour, the second sabbath (14th moon rise) starts at sundown, the third sabbath (21st moon rise) start aroung the midnight hour, and the forth sabbath starts at sunrise, every time.
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  22:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What proof do you offer Bondservant that the moon is acting not normal? If the moon has changed at all in its orbit the nineteen year cycle it keeps (noted all through history as written by Sir Isac Newton) would be busted - but it is not. The issue you must address is proof -why is the sabbath a day (not in scripture) -why is saturday the sabbath (not anywhere) -why does the bible confirm a 30 day month and you keep months of 28-31. I think you should prove your position before getting in to this where proof is more abundant.
Go to Top of Page

Linc
Advanced Member

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  03:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just reading a book on the early Irish ecclesia today (the green book). It had an interesting quote. It says the early Irish kept the Sabbath (true). But it also insists that the Sabbath was Saturday. Perhaps. Then it quotes Augustine, who referred to something happening on the "third of the octave". What was this "octave"? Could it be the Roman eight-day week I've heard talk of in Lunarian writings? Did the days of the octave have names? What was the name of the eighth and the first days? Remember, Augustine lived 400 years after Christ. And early quotes about the "Lord's Day" always call it the "eighth" day. This is very unnatural thing to say if the week is only seven days long. Normal people would say "first day" of the week.

The Lunarians are the only Sabbath keepers who have even SLIGHTLY dealt with the Greek linguistic issues raised in this article, "Sunday, the First of Sabbaths" by Charles Wesley Ewing:

http://reactor-core.org/sunday-sabbath.html

Every Saturday keeper I've tried to show it to has read a few paragraphs and then thrown it against the wall, refused to read any more of it, and refused to discuss it.

I pray that my brothers in the ecclesia who read this will not be as close-minded, but will give it fair and frank consideration.

Even the Lunarians haven't dealt with the material in the article directly. John Keyser, of the Berean Voice, came closest to grappling with it when he mentioned that there were many instances of the sabbath being mentioned in a plural form, in contexts that made its meaning very uncertain and mysterious.

We really need a word study on ALL the different grammatical forms of the word "sabbath" as it is found in the New Testament and the Septuagint. There is more than meets the eye at the present moment, and I pray that we can get some linguists onside who know the literature well enough to give us the historical meaning of the 4 or 5 different forms in which the word "Sabbath" is found in the Greek.

What is more, my polygamy studies enter into the matter of a correct understanding of the sabbath. If you understand the heis/mia misunderstanding, where the word "one" is also used as the indefinite article "a/an", then you can see where Mr. Ewing overlooked a potentially vital clue in his reading. But that doesn't undo the important points he brings out in the article; it is just a jumping off point for further exegesis. Ewing says "first of sabbaths"; what if he should have said "some sabbaths", since "some" is the plural of the indefinite article?

Edited by - Linc on 18 Mar 2005 12:50:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000