Biblical Answers about Polygamy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Forum Administrator

Saint Kitts and Nevis
114 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  18:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Even though a man can marry more than one woman without being charged with "adultery", a woman cannot marry more than one man (Romans 7:2-3, 1 Corinthians 7:39), and that if a woman is involved with another man, she will be charged with adultery. The reason the man is not mentioned by Paul is because, according to the law, a man could marry another woman while his first wife was still alive and not be guilty of adultery.

In matters of divorce and remarriage, it is Paul's pattern of writing in 1 Corinthians 7 to apply something to both the wife and the husband if it indeed applies to both. Both a wife and a husband are admonished not to divorce (1 Corinthians 7:10-11). Both the husband and the wife are commanded not to divorce in the case that they are married to an unbeliever (vs. 12-16). But only the wife is told that she cannot be joined to another as long as her husband lives. (vs. 39).

Therefore, the Biblical position on remarriage is the following: If a woman is divorced unjustly by her husband, she may not remarry another because she is bound to the first as long as he lives. If a man is divorced by his wife, he may remarry another, but he must pray for his first wife’s return and accept her back as his wife if she does return (1 Corinthians 7:11). If a man divorces his wife unjustly, he may not remarry another, as it would then be considered "adultery" (Mark 10:11).

Understanding polygamy and accepting it as a valid and Biblical form of marriage today is very crucial because it brings healing and knowledge to those who have found themselves divorced by a spouse, as well as giving understanding and wisdom to missionaries who preach the gospel to polygamous families in other countries. It is my sincere prayer that you have experienced some healing and/or gained wisdom and understanding from what God's Word has to say on this subject of polygamy."

This is only a quote from a much larger Biblical study on Polygamy.

Download it in MSWord DOC format from the ECC Library:

Is Polygamy Allowed or is it a Sin?

OR view it at http://ecclesia.org/truth/polygamy.html

Edited by - All4Him on 17 Aug 2002 11:32:02

rdm

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  12:27:59  Show Profile  Visit rdm's Homepage  Send rdm a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of the best exhaustive Bible studies I've heard or read on this subject was by Pastor Bob Hallstrom. He went through all the Bible had to say regarding God's Laws on Marriage and addressed both the pro and con arguments on the subject of multiple wives.

The 4 audio messages by Pastor Hallstrom on this subject can be downloaded for FREE from MV Spoken Word Hotline Server. Download instructions can be found at: http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/rdm/mvsw.html

Office of the Overseer for the Popular Assembly of Redemptive Dominion Missions, a corporation sole, and his successors.
http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/rdm
Go to Top of Page

SilkPurse
Occasional Poster

New Zealand
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2002 :  17:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be being a bit simplistic, but I simply look to Christ who has but one bride and consider that the example to follow.

SilkPurse
Go to Top of Page

Cat

Faroe Islands
46 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  22:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Cat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreeing with you, Silk Purse.

John 3:8
Go to Top of Page

Andrew

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  20:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Timothy 3:12 If elders or deacons cannot have multiple wives it would indicate to me that polygamy is not a preffered situation.

Yes a polygamus man can come to Christ without sending his wives away but a christian should not take multiple wives.

My brother, his family and my mother are missionaries and are acquainted with quite a few polygamus families. According to them even in the best of situations polygamy creates alot of stress and jealousy. My carnal nature certainly finds some features of polygamy attractive but I do not believe that it is a healthy lifestyle. When we examine the lives of the patriarchs the destructive nature of polygamy is evident. The homes of Abraham, Jacob, David, and Solomon were filled with strife because of the competition between the wives. Read about Rachel and Leah or Sarah and Haggar. I love my wife too much to put her in such a situation. Do you want your wives hiring your services for some mandrakes??

Go to Top of Page

Cat

Faroe Islands
46 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  22:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Cat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Admin: In the time of Christ, it was not unusual for 13 year olds to become married. Admin, I currently know of no confessed ecclesia members practicing polygyny (which is the proper term, technically speaking). If a couple indicated an interest in marrying an aware 13 year old, do you find holy writ in agreement with this?

Catrin

Trúgviđ á Jesus!

Edited by - Cat on 30 Oct 2002 22:04:41
Go to Top of Page

Bondservant
Forum Administrator

382 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  08:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Bondservant's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cat:
Admin: In the time of Christ, it was not unusual for 13 year olds to become married. Admin, I currently know of no confessed ecclesia members practicing polygyny (which is the proper term, technically speaking). If a couple indicated an interest in marrying an aware 13 year old, do you find holy writ in agreement with this?

Catrin
Catrin, this article was written by Mike Sullivan as shown at the supplied link on the original post, not by the ECC Administrator. We neither endorse nor exclude Biblical based articles written by others on the ECC. The purpose for us posting such articles as this is to initiate debate from the ecclesia and, for some matters considered "taboo", to bring them to open discussion so that viewers who may not be aware of certain matters of the ecclesia may dig deeper into the subject and research it for themselves. In this way, we are attempting to encourage each Christian viewer to seek guidance from the Holy Spirit while searching within His Word for His Wisdom.

Thanks to all who have posted comments on this article so far. Your comments are vital, especially to new Christians who might be tempted to follow the doctrines of men rather than the Law of God.
Go to Top of Page

Cat

Faroe Islands
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  18:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Cat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was nothing written to this effect. Posting an article without any disclaimer or announcement as to its proposed use as debate material is at the very least, somewhat eccentric, or "irregular."

A further irregularity is the lack of other "taboo" "ecclesia matters" not addressed in articles in this section of the forum. Are there no other "taboos"? Is polygamy the only "taboo" of possible interest to the ecclesia at present?

Finally, a bit puzzling is the title of this section, "The Christian family," contrasted with the title of the sole article posted by the administrator in this section, "Biblical Answers About Polygamy." A visitor like me is left wondering, Is there nothing else demanding discussion today, regarding family life?

Thank you for your comments.

Catrin

Trúgviđ á Jesus!

Go to Top of Page

Bondservant
Forum Administrator

382 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  19:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Bondservant's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cat:
Posting an article without any disclaimer or announcement as to its proposed use as debate material is at the very least, somewhat eccentric, or "irregular."

A further irregularity is the lack of other "taboo" "ecclesia matters" not addressed in articles in this section of the forum. Are there no other "taboos"? Is polygamy the only "taboo" of possible interest to the ecclesia at present?

Finally, a bit puzzling is the title of this section, "The Christian family," contrasted with the title of the sole article posted by the administrator in this section, "Biblical Answers About Polygamy." A visitor like me is left wondering, Is there nothing else demanding discussion today, regarding family life?

As a new and starting member of this forum, let me correct you on a few matters before you comment on any of the ECC forums again:

Administrator has posted ten (10) subjects in this particular category "The Christian Family", including Communication in Marriages, Marriage v. Holy Matrimony, and What is an Ecclesia. I don't find your unfounded comment "puzzling" at all... you simply made a mistake and you are wrong.

If you feel that this site is "eccentric" or "irregular", then what are you doing here? If you have such a problem with this forum, then I suggest you pay for your own internet domain, pay for an IP and DNS service, and start your own forum.

All the moderators on this forum have made it very clear that attacks against others who post here or deliberate disruptive attitudes will not be tolerated. Because our warnings were not heeded by a few in the past, they were permanently banned from this site. We came to find out they were not a part of His ecclesia and registered here at the ECC for the sole purpose of disrupting as many forums as possible. I sincerely hope this isn't the case with you, Catrin.

If you want to comment or make your opinions known concerning any posted subject, your posts are welcome. With moderated approval, you may also post new subjects, as we have already approved once for you. But if you want to complain that this forum and those who moderate it are not to your liking, then feel free to remove our bookmark from your browser.

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. - Mark 12:27
Go to Top of Page

Cat

Faroe Islands
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  20:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Cat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been merely confused. I intend no malice, complaint or ill feeling whatsoever.

Peace,

Catrin

Let us reason together and edify one another with the love of Christ the Saviour who died for us. Amen.

Trúgviđ á Jesus!

Edited by - Cat on 20 Jan 2003 18:33:10
Go to Top of Page

godslawissupreme

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  15:03:26  Show Profile  Visit godslawissupreme's Homepage  Send godslawissupreme an ICQ Message  Click to see godslawissupreme's MSN Messenger address  Send godslawissupreme a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You for Opening Ours Eyes as Man has many mnay deceiving Tricks Up his Sleeves.
God Bless to All Who seek The Truth.
Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  18:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings In The Name of Jesus, The Christ.
It is good to read from time to time your postings which I only once in a blue moon can get to and read during these times.
Yesterday I found an old video named deuteronomy recorded by Michael Brown and John. It mentioned the time when (during 380 a.d.) I beleive, that the Roman Catholic church in Toledo Spain changed the "rules" to "their standard" for the sole purpose, of the "evil ones," to profit through usury and enhance their profits by doing away with man having more than one wife. The result is what we see and hear now, "LOCUSTS" consuming their way to eternal hell. Think about it. If woman outnumbers the man by such a high percentage, than the evil ones will cater to that "group" destroying and perverting everything on its path, invluding the younger generations then, now and tomorrow. "DOG EAT DOG"

Dios con vosotros,
Manuel

I am making this edit real quick before I log off. It was called the COUNCIL OF TOLEDO, and it was around 392 a.d. By the way it wasn't the COUNCIL OF TOLEDO'S idea, but it originated from BABYLON (THE USERS OF USURY).

Pray to meet face to face soon,
Manuel

Edited by - Manuel on 26 Jun 2003 17:37:23
Go to Top of Page

naifgnostic

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  03:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not for or against having more than one wife, but I found this (not sure of its accuracy) intresting and thought I would share it.

"The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof."

The diference between harmony and conflict(trouble) in that situation could be spiritual(selfless) vs. carnal(selfish). I don't know, just a thought.

I am naif,
Peace
Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  23:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
naifgnostic wrote:
>> "The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof."

Therefore, as you may discern from reading Genesis 30:14-16, wives ought to have their own tents to dwell in.
Go to Top of Page

True North
Advanced Member

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  07:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isaiah 4:1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.
Go to Top of Page

DanielJacob
Advanced Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  10:23:24  Show Profile  Visit DanielJacob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings Brothers,

I look at this subject like this: I believe that the first occurance in the Scripture of multiple wives was practiced by the pagan La'-mech (Gen 4:19). It was this man also that committed the second act of murder (Gen 4:23-24) described in Scripture. Perhaps Paul had a purpose in his comments about only one wife. It would appear on the surface that it was a practice that was introduced by the pagans of the time. Just my thoughts...

Peace to all.
Go to Top of Page

berkano
Advanced Member

uSA
129 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  14:59:24  Show Profile  Visit berkano's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any man that will lie with a woman or women but is not willing and enthusiastic to own up to the possible consequences of childbirth, so that he cares dearly for the needs and teaching of those children, that man is a dog and bastard son and should be cut off from fellowship.

If a man is wealthy, he should adopt widows and their orphaned children and care for them as his own wives and children. This isn't just an opinion, it is the Lawful command and custom of the Israel state. Polygamy is not only "justified," but it is a command for such men who have great wealth, large mansions, and many servants. That wealth is to be used to care for the widowed and orphaned, not to buy jet skis and a new Lexus.

The poor man and the transient Ambassador should *not* enter into the marriage covenant unless the community of Christians has an ongoing means of support for such families. The Ambassador is married to his ministerial duty as a Messenger of the News, and a wife and children will usually keep him from this calling (in today's Godless social arrangements).

For one man, polygyny would be a righteous duty, and he would be sinning if he refused to marry more than one woman. For another man, polygyny or even monogamy would be an abomination in the eyes of God, for it would interfere with his Godly duties and mock the sacredness of the marriage covenant.

It is always wrong for a woman to have more than one husband, for the affection follows to the children, not to the seed. The affection follows to the kin, and the familial bond, not to the procreative act. A sentient being has the right and need to know his pedigree in a familial arrangement. There is no national bond without a clear familial bond and structure. Meditate on this and you will understand a great natural law and legal principle that most people don't get.

You must remember that the Lawgiver's Way is manifested in the Living Spirit, not in the words on a piece of paper. What Paul said about marriage is both right and wrong--depending on whom you try to apply his words to. I know with a surety that Jesus would not prevent a man from caring for widows and orphans by adoption and marriage. It is the marriage covenant and the affection between the sexes that bonds the wives and children to the security of a righteous husband's estate.

As for myself, I cannot have even one wife. I have tried to get close to women only to find that American women are trained from youth to defy even Godly authority. I have siblings who are married and the power struggles I witness between husband and wife are horrid and tragic. Every "eligible" woman I have ever met in my entire life without a single exception has desired to exercise unrighteous dominion and mental manipulation to ensure her future financial security and personal comfort, at the expense of all a man's autonomy and dignity, even at the expense of his duty to God. Only a weak-minded man would let his natural urges drive him into such a union.

I am not a "cash cow." You show me a woman who loves God more than her emotional whims, and I will wish to tie that woman in a burlap sack and haul her to a Kentucky headhunter wedding with my Uncle Zeek performing the ceremony. ;)

Until then, I remain single, and I demand all you wealthy men to take up the widows and orphans and teach up righteous children unto God Almighty. If you want a righteous nation, you've got to concieve, feed, and teach its citizens.

Furthermore, the duty of "education" rests squarely on the shoulders of the earthly father. Fathers should teach all their children to be submissive to God's Law, and they should offer a "severance package" to any wife or wives that want to interfere with this duty to teach, whether the woman is bipolar or feeling neglected, it makes no difference.

Polygamy was not about the marriage relationship so much as it was about raising a healthy, God-centered generation of children who would love the Law and love each other without all the emotional baggage you see everywhere in this age.

Raise children up to the Law. If you need three wives to do this, then have three wives. If even one wife would prevent you from doing this duty, then remain single and celebate so you can continue teaching your flock according to their needs and demands.

Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  19:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings In Jesus, The Christ,
For generations the family has slowly gone down the slope of darkness. One would think that it would improve, but sadly, the evil ones have been catering to the masses. "ORDER THROUGH CHAOS" is the name of their commerce. Even families of one man and wo-man are continually being destroyed through years of "UNHOLY INDOCTRINATION."
Emmidiately after the wo-man (women mostly "think" they are getting the best deal) enters into the CORPORATE BODY-SNATCHERS
"conducted" through the traffik of these so-called "FAMILY COURTs," better known as family sloughterhouses, the imposters judges (family executioners), attorn-eys (family butchers), drive the victims into a stage where actors act as helpers, which in fact are actually bottom feeding locusts devouring what is left. Sickhologists and Sickhiatrists have entered the work-shops also, as a way to pass the "buck around" and making themselves all drunk with their useless nothing.
This plaque... these evildoers are all serving a lower authority to which I do not think they are aware of, for they are all drunk with the blood of the saints.
Everything which is against the sound doctrines of His teaching and Laws, is part of a very evil plot to undermine the very depth of mankind.
Let those who fall to their level, do as they do, and follow their instructions, beware, for the time is at hand, the pot is boiling and the scum is rising, heard and seen by those who have ears who hear and eyes which see.
As for the old man. He is nowhere to be found. Let the dead bury the dead.
The women oppressing man using the children thru this legion of scoundrels is one of the signs of the times.

Vindicia contra tyrannus,
Dios con vosotros,
Manuel

Go to Top of Page

Cornerstone Foundation
Advanced Member

uSA
254 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  19:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linc has posted something quite provocative....
quote:
Linc wrote: There are many good people on this forum, and I thank you for it. May Jehovah bless you all with his saving knowledge, a calm and peaceful heart, and material prosperity beyond the very limit, so you may have many wives, hundreds of children, and grow his Kingdom by leaps and bounds through home-schooling and total subjection and obedience to Him through his Torah.
What are the current thoughts of the Ecclesia on "having many wives, hundreds of children, and growing His Kingdom by leaps and bounds through home-schooling and total subjection and obedience to Him through his Torah."

Edited by - Cornerstone Foundation on 24 Jan 2005 05:38:16
Go to Top of Page

Mark

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  01:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What are the current thoughts of the Ecclesia on "having many wives, hundreds of children, and growing His Kingdom by leaps and bounds through home-schooling and total subjection and obedience to Him through his Torah."

May I direct His Ecclesia, for those who are interested, to a very good article posted earlier on the subject of many wives (or at least more than one) @ http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/polygamy.html

Peace,
Mark

Edited by - Mark on 24 Jan 2005 23:44:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000