Page: of 5

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  07:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings and salutations in the name of the King, brother Walter:
Peace be unto the house.
We believe that you will find that Leviticus 23:3 is indeed a weekly shabbath (H7676) as you state, however at 23:24 you will find that it is not a weekly shabbath (H7676), but rather, a shabbathon (H7677), a "special set-apart day" separate of the weekly shabbaths (H7676). Further, we believe that you will find that a "convocation" is the Hebrew word miqrah (H4744), which is very much the same as the Greek word ekklesia, both meaning "a calling out". It was translated most times as: assembly, calling, convocation, reading.
CONVOCATION, n. [L.] 1. The act of calling or assembling by summons. 2. An assembly.
Further, an "holy convocation", means that it is a sanctified, i.e. set apart calling or assembly or perhaps an assembly of the set-apart ones, Yahowah's peculiar people, His citizens.
Our understanding is that this was a time of study, of the Scripture, of Law, of the issues at hand, etc.
Our hope is that this has been helpful.

fellowcitizen of the commonwealth of Yisra'el, NOT the STATE OF ISRAEL.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 22 Jan 2005 08:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  08:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oneisraelite

Greetings and salutations in the name of the King, brother Walter:
Peace be unto the house.
We believe that you will find that Leviticus 23:3 is indeed a weekly shabbath (H7676) as you state, however at 23:24 you will find that it is not a weekly shabbath (H7676), but rather, a shabbathon (H7677), a "special set-apart day" separate of the weekly shabbaths (H7676). Further, we believe that you will find that a "convocation" is the Hebrew word miqrah (H4744), which is very much the same as the Greek word ekklesia, both meaning "a calling out". It was translated most times as: assembly, calling, convocation, reading.
CONVOCATION, n. [L.] 1. The act of calling or assembling by summons. 2. An assembly.
Further, an "holy convocation", means that it is a sanctified, i.e. set apart calling or assembly or perhaps an assembly of the set-apart ones, Yahowah's peculiar people, His citizens.
Our understanding is that this was a time of study, of the Scripture, of Law, of the issues at hand, etc.
Our hope is that this has been helpful.

I need to study the difference between the words tagged as 07676 and 07677, but I don't see any reason to say that a holy convocation is not also a Sabbath (of whatever word). If you're having a[n] holy convocation, you are not working as you are commanded to do six days of a "week"; I conclude the day of the holy convocation must also be a seventh day or Sabbath. Do you disagree?
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  08:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum
We might also point out once more here, while we are on this subject, that "blowing of trumpets" we perceive to be a mistranslation of the Hebrew word teruah, which means "an acclamation of joy".
ACCLAMA'TION, n. [L. acclamatio. See acclaim.] A shout of applause uttered by a multitude. - Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language
The Hebew word yobel would have probably been the word of choice had this meant "blowing of trumpets", and shophar is apparently the Hebrew word for "trumpet".
Let us also state for the record that if one wanted to "blow a trumpet" or a "rams horn" as an "acclamation of joy", we see no harm in that, in fact, it can be fun for children and adults alike. The key is to remind everyone, especially the children, what it is truly about.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 22 Jan 2005 08:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  08:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings once more brother Walter:
Peace be unto the house.
quote:
I conclude the day of the holy convocation must also be a seventh day or Sabbath. Do you disagree?

We humbly disagree, but for this reason only; though it may be a day in which no servile work is to be done, save what must be done to eat, this does not necessarily make it a "seventh day", for as we have attempted to show, some are "special set-apart days" {holy days} and these are called shabbathons (H7677), which are treated "like" a seventh day shabbath but are not a seventh day shabbath. Another way of saying this is that it is a shabbath observance without being a seventh day.
A good example might be this, kosmokrator [Yahowah's adversary] may treat their 4th of July the same as their weekly holy day (a day off for them and their servants), but it is not their weekly, or seventh (or first) day, holy day.

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 22 Jan 2005 08:56:18
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  09:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings once more:
quote:
a[n] holy convocation [Emphasis added]

As an interesting aside here, we might point out that the letters Y,H, and W, the very letters most commonly used to depict the Set-Apart Name in the English language, were at one time all semi-vowels as they were and are in the Hebrew [yod, hey & waw (and aleph)] but for some uncanny reason only the Y remains. Hence, according to the rules of English grammar "an" would be the correct article or modifier in front of a word starting with the letter "H".

uncanny adj. 1 mysterious or unfamiliar, esp. in such a way as to frighten or make uneasy; preternaturally strange; eerie; weird – Webster’s New World Dictionary of the English Language –Third College Edition

Edited by - Oneisraelite on 22 Jan 2005 09:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Cornerstone Foundation
Advanced Member

uSA
254 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  12:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[blue]Originally posted by oneisraelite
Greetings once more:
quote:

As an interesting aside here, we might point out that the letters Y,H, and W, the very letters most commonly used to depict the Set-Apart Name in the English language, were at one time all semi-vowels as they were and are in the Hebrew [yod, hey & waw (and aleph)] but for some uncanny reason only the Y remains. Hence, according to the rules of English grammar "an" would be the correct article or modifier in front of a word starting with the letter "H".

Cornerstone Foundation wrote:

Do you mean such as in the phrases:

.......1.) eleven o'clock is an hour before noon.

.......2.) the trusted servant was listed an heir in the will.

Best Regards,

Marty
Go to Top of Page

Oneisraelite
Advanced Member

uSA
833 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  15:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct, Marty.

Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  16:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oneisraelite

Greetings once more:
quote:

I've read before on a web board that originally Hebrew had vowels but they were dropped/changed to give the current usage. I'd like to get a book reference to this claim if anyone knows of one. It appears modern hebrew uses pointings to make vowels.

Actually, if you look at most any encyclopedia, you will see that the early vowels (aleph, he, yod, oyin, vau) are now the vowels we use (a, e, i, o, u).
Go to Top of Page

jambosas
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  12:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gen 1:5 does not translate - were the first day as to include night - it just says day one - so daylight being day only is a valid statement?
Go to Top of Page

Cornerstone Foundation
Advanced Member

uSA
254 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  13:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambosas
Gen 1:5 does not translate - were the first day as to include night - it just says day one - so daylight being day only is a valid statement?

Cornerstone Foundation wrote:

We are presuming that if the above color coded definitions were applied you, jambosas, who be stating:

quote:
Genesis 1:5 does not translate - were the first day/date as to include night - it just says day/daylight being day/daylight only is a valid statement?

Question No. 1: Is our presumption correct?

Question No. 2: Did you place the question mark at the end intentionally?...and if so will you please restate the question in different words?

Best Regards,

Marty

Edited by - Cornerstone Foundation on 25 Jan 2005 13:31:22
Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  15:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a heads up, the navy online data for this coming equinox shows it will be at 12:33 UT, or 17:33 EST, on Sunday, March 20. This makes Sunday - as the day containing the VE - the start of the next year, and by prescription the first weekly Sabbath of the next year. For those of you following the calendar reckoning I support in this thread, you will see that Sunday is the natural, weekly Sabbath in the current year as well - just as it should be. The next 'slip' in the day of the week that is Sabbath will be at the next Pentecost (by the calendar I use), when Sabbath will "move" to Monday. (It looks like the VE for the following year will be a double Sabbath, btw.)

Fwiw, I'm really slammed with work so I've dropped the board subscription. I'll check back when things let up.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000