New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hotei

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2002 :  14:48:57  Show Profile
greetings

i make clothing that is inspired by the mystical wings of religions of the world. i would appreciate any recommendations to gnostic writings and books.

love to all, and happy holidays.

Shiloh

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  09:43:57  Show Profile
mystical wings of religion? Would you please explain what that might possibly be?
Go to Top of Page

hotei

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2002 :  20:40:09  Show Profile
greetings,

the mystical wings of each religion tend to be persecuted by the establishment. mysticism points to the oneness of everything and that this oneness (or God if you will) is the only operating force. ominpotent, omniscient and omnipresent.

over time, even the mystical wings start to take on an establishment feel, and start having their own dogmas and practices. they become prescriptive (under the false belief that god has made a mistake somehow) rather than descriptive (all there is, is God).

each religion has a mystical wing
buddhism = zen
muslim = sufi
hindu = advaita (literally, "not two")
christian = gnostic

for example, a student of advaita would very much understand the comments "the father within me doeth the works" or " i and my father are one" also " I AM"

without writing a big thesis, this is about as concise as i can get.
the father within me is also doing the works, sames as within you, since God is all there is. i am not asking you to agree with this statement, only pointing out what we think of as being mystical.

i became interested in gnostic writings after we used a line from st. thomas...."this heaven will pass away". this sounds remarkably like a zen koan (what is the sound of one hand clapping) which are designed not to give answers, but to transcend the question by having the mind give up trying to get the answers.

i ordered one gnostic book from amazon, and so far, the writer does not approach from what we would consider the mystical aspect. the book states that in going back to the fountainhead, the beginning was imperfect. a student of mysticism would say that it is all perfect (even the stuff you dont like) and that it is exactly as god wants it. it can only be considered imperfect from the standpoint of a separate individual who desires thing to be other than they are.

thy will be done

hotei

Go to Top of Page

hotei

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2002 :  23:13:17  Show Profile
hello again,

forgot one:

jewish = kaballah (spelling may be incorrect)

happy new year
Go to Top of Page

loybost

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2002 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Visit loybost's Homepage  Send loybost an AOL message
How about a book of Truth instead? Try the Holy Bible.
Peace and Grace,
Loy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000